Awake and Alive: A national Christian Event ministry for the 18-25 generation of young adults and young adult leaders.
About the Events:
The heart of Awake and Alive is rooted in Ephesians 3: "And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." In our hopes for the conference and our summer group, we want to hold onto three core pillars:
KNOW the gift of Grace (Awake): The 18-25 season of our lives is one of profound growth, opportunity and challenge, especially when it comes to our identity. For many of us, Grace, even if we understood it when we were younger, becomes a more challenging concept and on that we have to continually come back to. We want you to understand this gift better.
OWN the gift of Grace (Alive): It's one thing to know information, but to really take ownership of this gift is to take an active role in what a relationship with God is all about through Christ. A deeper understanding of our need for a Savior and the overwhelming hope and joy, not to mention peace, that comes from knowing that God's Grace is for me personally.
MAKE KNOWN the gift of Grace (Advance): In the peace and joy, we don't only praise the Lord for what he's done for us, we see the world through new eyes and we see people who need the same peace, hope and joy that we have in Christ. Knowing who we are, knowing who others could be in Christ, gives us the courage to share the same Gospel story of Grace so that friends, family and people we do life with, might have that same gift of life to the full.
WHY? Because we want people to truly grasp "how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ", an eternal love that truly is the "Life to the Full" as Jesus called it, that we are all looking for. For young adults and leaders in serving this generation, this is our hope for you.
For the 18-25-year-olds that know Jesus:
* We want you to see and know that you are not alone.
* We want you to know that Jesus is better than anything the world is trying to sell you.
* We believe that God has given you tremendous talents to share with the world and through all generations.
* We believe that God has given, and will give, you unique opportunities to share the Gospel, making known his faithfulness with your world and your community.
* We want to be an event that encourages you to find the life and hope you are looking for in a relationship with Jesus, the only place where we can know our truest identity and purpose.
For the 18-25-year-olds that might not know Jesus, are frustrated by "religion", or skeptical of Christianity:
* We want this to be a safe event for you to learn more about Christianity, who Jesus is and what God's grace means for you in your everyday life and hope for your future.
* We want you to know that we care about you as a person and that we do want to know and understand your story.
* While we don't expect you to "believe" what we do, we hope that you will consider what Jesus has said about Himself, what He says about you, and the implications of what He has done for you and what they can mean for your outlook on life.
About Our Director, Mike Westendorf:
Mike has been heavily involved in Campus Ministry in Milwaukee through The Point of Grace for the since 2007. He has also overseen the day-to-day operations of Innovative Weather, a meteorology internship program with the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, working with college students and recent graduates in a 24/7 forecast operation. Mike has been a professional recording artist for the past 10 years, leading concerts and worship across the country and is a member of the ministry team of his home church St. Paul's Muskego, helping lead worship at "The Bridge"
Mike has felt the need to highlight the journey and challenges to the faith life of 18-25-year-olds and the need for Christian mentors and churches to take a more active role in serving and walking with them through the challenging times of the "University Moment". While we frequently talk about needing to do something in the church, Mike hopes this Christian event will serve as an inspiration for the college age and young professionals that come, while giving older Christians an opportunity to serve and pray for them well.
The heartbeat for this ministry is found in three places in scripture. John 10:10, Psalm 89:1-8, and the book of Ephesians, specifically Ephesians 3:14-21, the combination of which may be summed into the simple prayer:
Lord, make me AWAKE to who I am in Jesus, make me ALIVE to living out this identity and reality in my every day life, with the purpose of bringing one more person closer to you!
As a touring artist, Mike also takes the message of Awake and Alive on the road for churches who also have a heart for this prayer and have a desire to encourage the faith life of the "generations". For more information about Mike and his music and concert/worship opportunities, please visit www.mikewestendorf.com.
For more information about Campus Ministry in Milwaukee, WI, please visit www.tpog.net.